My Writing Process

So I wanted to talk about something a little different today: Blog writing!

There is currently a “blog tour” going around the healthy living blog world where bloggers get the chance to talk a little bit about their writing process, how they come up with blog posts, and why they do what they do. After reading a couple of them, I found it really interesting to see some of the similarities and differences between my own blog writing style and that of other bloggers!

So when Leslie from Life Begins at 30 invited me to participate, I jumped at the chance to join in. I hope you guys find these as interesting to read as I do!

1. What am I working on?

I always have a million ideas going on, so I tend to write them down in my handly little notebook that I keep in my purse. That way when I’m sitting at my computer wondering what to write, I can pull it out and get some inspiration!Especially after FitBloggin, I feel like I have so many ideas of things that I want to talk to you guys about!

I am currently full of a bunch of recipe ideas and random streams of thought that I’m trying to work out so that I can share with you all. I am also thinking about starting a new series here on MFL that is going to take a deeper look into how busy 20-somethings find a healthy balance in their lives. I haven’t figured out all the details yet, but I’m definitely excited to start that project soon. Hopefully that sounds interesting to you all?

PS – If there are certain topics that you all love hearing about, please let me know! I’m always open!

2. How does my work differ from others of its type/genre?

“Healthy Living” is such a broad genre that I feel like every healthy living blog out there covers slightly different things. What I really try and emphasize here on My Freckled Life is a realistic look at what healthy living looks like for a busy, working 20-something.

I don’t always eat perfectly, sometimes I skip workouts, and I still try to retain some kind of social life, and I want you guys to see that! I know that I personally am always turned off by bloggers who seem to have everything together 100% of the time, and only every post about their perfect eats or workouts. We all know that sometimes you just need a little froyo in your life, and that’s OK!

(source)

So what I talk about here is how I personally find that healthy balance, in between all of my activities, crazy work schedule, social life, travel, and time with my husband. I talk about my struggles, my favorite workouts, my go-to healthy recipes, and my dog (obviously the highlight of my blog) – my real life and what my healthy journey REALLY looks like. It’s not always easy, but I hope that by seeing that it IS possible to find balance, and watching and learning from my struggles and triumphs, it might inspire others to make some healthier changes in their lives too!

3. Why do I write what I do?

When I first started my healthy living journey back in 2009, I had no clue what I was doing. There is SO much information out there on what “healthy” means, that I was totally overwhelmed. Am I supposed to eat carbs, or avoid them? Cardio or strength training? Splenda or Sugar?

That’s when I discovered the world of healthy living blogs. Real people who were talking about their real lives and real struggles with living a healthy life? That’s exactly what I needed at that time to learn about what healthy living really meant in the real world, and it gave me the confidence to change my own life for the better.

That has always been my hope with My Freckled Life. That it can not only be used as a way for me to keep accountable to myself in my healthy living journey, but also that it might inspire others or give them the confidence to live a healthier life. I wanted it to be (and hope that it is!) a genuine and honest place where people can view my struggles and experiences, and be inspired to take some or all of that into their own lives! I’m not perfect, and I want people to see that being healthy doesnt mean being perfect all the time, despite what a lot of “fitspiration” may tell you!

4. How does your writing process work?

I actually don’t prep too many blog posts in advance. In general, I typically write out all my posts the night before they are posted (which sometimes gets pushed to the morning if I have a ton of stuff going on). That works well for me because I can keep them as honest and authentic as possible, and can bump a planned post if something more important in my life comes up!

In terms of scheduling, I do try to schedule out my posts a week or two in advance and write them into my calendar so I least have a vague idea of what I’m going to talk about. There are obviously some linkups and traditions that I (mostly) keep with every week – weekend recap, WIAW, and Five Favorites Friday – and then I just try and fill in Tuesday/Thursday posts with whatever I feel like talking about that week.

(source)

Most importantly, I try to keep this blog in balance with the rest of my life. Sometimes things come up that keep me from posting. Sometimes I just want to spend time cuddling on the couch with my husband. And that’s OK. It’s been hard for a Type-A person like me to try and let things go sometimes in order to find balance, but it’s something that I’m working on. If I don’t take time to live life, then what am I going to have to write about, after all?

Well I hope you enjoyed hearing a little about my blog writing process. I’m sorry that it ended up being a little bit of a brain dump, but I found it really fun to be able to share with you guys some behind-the-scenes stuff about how I write and why I write. Is it probably the most effective and efficient way to go about blogging? No. Do I have a fancy blogging calendar like some people? No. But does it work for me? Yes.

And that’s what My Freckled Life is all about anyway – telling you about what works (or doesnt) for me, in the hopes that you can use that knowledge to inspire your own journey!

If you have any questions about my writing process, about my journey, or any topics that you’d love to hear about, please don’t hesitate to contact me!

And because I want to share the love, check out some of these ladies that are going to continue the Blog Tour! They are some of my favorite bloggers, so I know you’ll love them too!

Julie @ My Sweet & Healthy Life

So tell me: If you’re a blogger, what does your writing process look like? Do you schedule posts or write them on the fly? If you’re not a blogger, how’d you get into reading healthy living blogs? What topics do you like to read about?

1. Leslee @ Her Happy Balance July 17, 2014 at 11:03 am Reply

For posts like recipes and reviews, I try to schedule them. But for Friday favorites, weekend recaps, or personal subjects those don’t get scheduled in advance and get written right before they’re posted. Having some scheduled posts is nice though, then I don’t have to worry about fitting posting into that day because past me covered present me’s butt :)
    Leslee @ Her Happy Balance recently posted…Swiftwick VIBE Sock ReviewMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:31 am Reply

Haha I probably should start keeping some on the back burner, so I’m not trying to qrite a post and eat breakfast at the same time (not that I’ve ever done that… often)

2. Marnie @ SuperSmartMama July 17, 2014 at 11:34 am Reply

Hi Stephanie – it is a lot of fun to hear about the behind-the-scenes process of writing a blog. It sounds like you’ve got a good rhythm in terms of how you go about publishing posts. I agree with you that there is SO much out there about healthy blogging. What to believe and not believe? But the blogosphere has been so helpful to me in figuring that out!

Marnie @ SuperSmartMama recently posted…Writing Process TourMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:45 am Reply

I honestly think that my healthy living journey would be completely different (or non existent) if I hadnt found the blog world!

3. Aileen @ Morsels and Moonshine July 17, 2014 at 11:43 am Reply

I schedule mine with a good, ol’ fashioned paper calendar. There is something about writing it in a schedule that makes me feel productive. The farthest I’ve pre-written mine is about a week out. You’re tough for doing it the night before – I don’t know if i have that discipline!

Aileen @ Morsels and Moonshine recently posted…Adorable Vegan & Gluten-free SprinklesMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:46 am Reply

Haha it’s actually more due to just not having too much time to pre-write posts! But I’m right there with you with the hand written calendar – I just cant get into electronic ones!

4. Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? July 17, 2014 at 11:59 am Reply

Great post! Thanks for continuing the tour! I love the blogger “what I really do” with all of the wine bottles. My posts would probably be a lot more interesting if I wrote them after drinking lots of wine. :) I really love your blog and the balance that you show!

5. Laura July 17, 2014 at 8:17 pm Reply

Great post! My process is all over the place :) my posts are really triggered by events (races, etc) and tid bits in between. I have been dabbling in guests posts as well.

• MyFreckledLife July 18, 2014 at 9:01 am Reply

Hey, “all over the place” is real life, right?

6. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication July 17, 2014 at 9:12 pm Reply

I need to be better about pre-writing posts and having a schedule. I get so willy nilly it’s ridiculous.
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted…Fancy-ing Up the MantleMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 18, 2014 at 9:01 am Reply

I know, I’m so terrible about pre-writing posta

7. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 18, 2014 at 9:55 am Reply

I love this post! I think it’s interesting to see how other bloggers balance out work/life/family and blogging. I usually write most of my posts a day or two before but that’s about it!
    Liz @ I Heart Vegetables recently posted…3 Step Meal PlanningMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 18, 2014 at 10:01 am Reply

I know, I love hearing how other bloggers find balance too! I need to get better about pre-writing posts!

8. Jennifer @ A Hungry Runner July 18, 2014 at 10:32 am Reply

I tend to be a “write on the fly” sort of blogger but I’m trying to focus a little more these days. I have my Wine Wednesday posts (hey, red wine is healthy, right?!) and since I’m training for my first 50k and using a new training program, it seems like a good idea to recap my weekly workouts on Sundays (my first post was just last week – for week 3. ha!). As for the other days….I usually wing it. I’ve tried pre-writing posts before but for some reason, when I post them, WordPress shows the post date as the date I started writing and not the published date. That frustrates me because I don’t want a Wednesday post to show up as a Monday post. So, I stopped doing that. :/

I really, really, really need to get a notebook to carry around to jot down blog ideas. Most of my ideas come when I’m running though. Just picture it – I’m standing on the side of the road, dripping with sweat, into Mile 14 of a 20-miler, grabbing my notebook and pen out of my race vest. Ha!

Jennifer @ A Hungry Runner recently posted…Bacon Bourbon Blue cheese Bison Burgers….BOOM!My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 20, 2014 at 2:15 pm Reply

Hahaha that would be slightly inconvenient, I’m sure! Also I love the idea of Wine Wednesday!

9. Angela July 22, 2014 at 7:19 pm Reply

I don’t really schedule post unless I know I’m going to be super busy or traveling. Most of the time I like to write on the fly because it keeps it real for me.
    Angela recently posted…The 62 mile bike ride: Year 2My Profile