WIAW: Summer Rain Edition

Happy Wednesday!

I’m quite thankful this week is going by quickly, because it’s turning out to be quite busy! We have some crazy stuff going on at work to prep for some office travel through the rest of summer, so everyone is running around like busy little worker bees trying to get everything done. There may have been some few nasty words spoken towards the copy machine yesterday when it decided it didn’t want to take any more papers.

It’s amazing how much we rely on technology nowadays! We can’t function when a stupid copier goes down!

Anyway, this week has been pretty busy between work, prepping for my GRE in August (Math, yuck!), working on some research for a local professor, and getting Wild used to our house. No wonder I’m running super low on sleep right now!

But since it’s Wednesday, we should focus on something fun. Like food! Right?

If you’re not familiar with WIAW, I highly encourage you to check out Jenn’s blog and learn what it’s all about. Plus you can check out what a ton of other awesome bloggers are eating!Thanks for the linkup Jenn!

Breakfast

breakfast

My usual. Pretty boring, I know. I just never get tired of this combo, even in the hot summer months! Plain oats, topped with a scoop of natural peanut butter, frozen berries, a bit of strawberry jam and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Simple and delicious. Although I do have some empty PB jars that are sitting in my cabinet… so maybe I’ll get fancy with my oats soon!

Lunch

20140715_115716

Ok, definitely not the most appetizing meal, I know. But it tasted much better than it looked, I promise! Chris made this black bean pasta primavera last week and I wanted to finish up the rest of it before it went bad. You can’t let all those delicious veggies go to waste! It was literally just black bean pasta topped with marinara, sauteed summer squash, zucchini and mushrooms. (<– affiliate link, FYI)

Snack

20140715_154140

This has become my new favorite combo lately! A brown rice cake topped with a bit of peanut butter and a banana. You get a little sweet, a little salty and a little crunch!

Dinner

20140715_181600

Dinner was literally thrown together in about 2 minutes, so it wasn’t my best meal creation of all time. Thanks to the massive thunder storms that rolled through, my train was like 30 minutes late coming home, which meant that I had about 10 minutes to make and eat dinner before I had to head out again. With some quick thinking I threw together a buffalo chicken sandwich (leftover grilled chicken, buffalo sauce, a touch of ranch, lettuce and tomato) and a 1/2 of a sweet potato with buffalo sauce.I wasn’t a huge fan of the white bun (leftover from the BBQ this weekend), but it’s all I could come up with in 10 seconds!

Workout

Sadly I didn’t get a workout in like I’d hoped. Plan A had been to run during my lunch break, but thanks to the  summer rain I wasn’t able to get out there. Plan B was to workout when I got home before we had to leave for Chris’ softball game, but thanks to the late train that didn’t happen either.

After scarfing down dinner and seeing that Chris’ game STILL wasn’t cancelled, we hoped in the car to head up to the fields. We got about halfway there before we got the email that they were cancelled and had to turn back around. At that point I had already scarfed food, and the idea of trying to workout without digesting didn’t sound good, so I ended up just skipping my workout all together. Boooo.

Overall it wasn’t the best day of eats and workouts for me, but sometimes those days just happen. That’s real life people! I am very much a control freak and I hate when my plans dont work out like they’re supposed to, but I’m working to be a little bit better about going with the flow – so I just let it go (cue Frozen singalong). Here’s to a better tomorrow!

PS – Dont forget that today is the last day to enter my Pure Via Summer Fit Kit Giveaway! Go check it out!

So tell me: What did you eat today? Did you get a workout in? Are you a control freak or a go-with-the-flow kind of person?

Tagged: , ,

1. Erin @ Erin's Inside Job July 16, 2014 at 10:00 am Reply

I am very much a control freak, but it as calmed down a bit as I’ve gotten older. I used to have a serious problem when my plans would change, but I’m trying to let more things go now. Sometimes the best times can be from something spontaneous!

Also I did exercise today! I have been waking up at 645 for this half marathon training (which is early for me). The weather this morning was PERFECT for running…in the low 60s with a breeze and little humidity. It was such a nice change from the weird rain spurts and terribly humidity!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Half Marathon TrainingMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:40 am Reply

So jealous of your morning runs!!! I’m out the door for work at 6:45, so morning runs are just not an option :(

2. Angela July 16, 2014 at 10:14 am Reply

I’m a control freak. My husband is very go with the flow so our household is a good balance. I hate missing workouts though. I teach spinning in the mornings so that really helps out a lot. This morning I did strength training and later I will do my mid-week long run.

I haven’t eaten anything interesting this week. Oh wait, my husband made some steamed cod over leaks last night which was amazing!
    Angela recently posted…Embrace the Space: My Altra running shoesMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:41 am Reply

Oooh, steamed cod over leeks?? That sounds delicious! Leeks are my favorite summer veggie!

3. Julie @ my sweet n healthy life July 16, 2014 at 11:34 am Reply

I’m right there with you on the control freak thing. Making efforts to just ”go with the flow” is definitely an everyday work!
    Julie @ my sweet n healthy life recently posted…WIAW – Yummy new eats + Hot Body Pump classMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:41 am Reply

I’m glad to know I’m not alone!

4. Lauren July 16, 2014 at 12:05 pm Reply

I need to sign up for the GREs. We can vent to each other than haha

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:42 am Reply

Yes, please!!! Studying for math is the worst!

5. Kim Scardino July 16, 2014 at 12:47 pm Reply

Yum – I think your pasta sounds super tasty!
    Kim Scardino recently posted…WIAW: Sausages, Ice Cream, and a Whola Lotta Eggs!My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:42 am Reply

I’ve kind of become obsessed with black bean pasta!

6. KIm July 16, 2014 at 1:05 pm Reply

I have a slight rice cake addiction! My favorite lately is caramel rice cakes with white chocolate wonderful peanut butter and just a few Reese’s pieces! So Yummy :)
    KIm recently posted…Corn FrittersMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:43 am Reply

That sounds amazing!!

7. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 16, 2014 at 1:25 pm Reply

Although I did get a workout in today, I didn’t get one in yesterday or Monday. Like you, life has been SO SO SO busy lately and I’ve found that my body needs the time to catch up and rest. For right now, I am a-ok with that!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted…This is How I Feel When…My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:43 am Reply

Exactly. It’s all about balance, right?

8. Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 16, 2014 at 4:01 pm Reply

I’m mostly a go-with-the-flow type person but I’m also a planner so I’m usually the one that gets the ball rolling. I don’t mind if plans don’t work out the way I intended but I like brainstorming what we’re going to do with our weekends and things like that!

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:43 am Reply

I need to learn to be more like you!

9. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication July 17, 2014 at 9:08 pm Reply

I did terrible with my eating this week. All week. I had Taco Bell and pizza… mistakes.
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted…Fancy-ing Up the MantleMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 18, 2014 at 9:01 am Reply

But delicious mistakes! Haha. That’s something, right?