Going Wild: A weekend recap

Happy Monday!

I hope you all had an awesome weekend! After all the traveling that I’ve done the last 3 weekends in a row, it was really nice to be able to spend a weekend at home, even if it was a busy one. Maybe now I’ll finally be able to get a handle on the absolutely insane piles of laundry that seem to be taking over my house… A month of traveling will definitely do that to you!

As much as I’ve loved this summer so far, I’m definitely looking forward to things slowing down just a bit over the next few weeks. I need a chance to catch my breath! It’s hard to focus on enjoying the moment when you’re always having to run to the next thing.

Anyway, let’s take a look at my first weekend at home in a month!

Friday

Chris and I have both been so busy during the week lately, that sometimes we go the entire day without seeing each other, and I’m passed out before he even gets home. So we decided that a summer date night was in order, since we both finally had an open Friday night.

We decided to test out a new-to-us local Fredericksburg restaurant called Poppy Hill, which our friends and family have been raving about forever.

Poppy Hill Fredericksburg, VA

Thankfully, it did not disappoint! Chewy bread with a crispy crust, flavorful olive oil, a glass of red wine and a bruschetta and goat cheese appetizer? Perfection.

The company didn’t hurt either.

Poppy Hill Fredericksburg, VA

The chef ended up making something off-menu for me, since I asked for the salmon, but with no tapenade (I’m not an olive fan). So instead he drizzled some crab hollandaise over the top of my salmon and shrimp risotto. It was like a decadent seafood feast!

Poppy Hill Fredericksburg, VA

It was so rich I could only eat about half of it, but it was so worth every amazing, delicious bite. Plus it was just nice to be able to get out and spend some quality, technology-free (that’s the rule!) time with the one I love. That’s how we find balance in our always crazy schedules!

After dinner we spent some time walking around downtown Fredericksburg, which is always a hopping place on Friday nights in the summer. Including some live music!

Fredericksburg, VA

After enjoying the music for a bit, we headed home to watch 21 Jump Street, which we’ve been meaning to watch for ages. I seriously DIED it was so funny! If you haven’t seen it already (I know we’re super late to the game), I highly recommend it. The perfect amount of adult humor without being unnecessarily crude all the time. Plus, Channing Tatum. So yea. Eye candy.

Saturday

Saturday was deemed a “no alarm Saturday”, meaning that no alarms were set and we planned on sleeping until our bodies woke us up. I have not been sleeping very well lately and my poor body was struggling all last week, so I decided to give it a chance to reset. And reset it did! I haven’t slept until 10am in literally MONTHS. So clearly my body needed it!

Most of the day was pretty much a deep cleaning and errand kind of day. I spent the morning making a giant Wegmans run, and the rest of the day deep cleaning our house (especially our basement) because we had company coming over in the evening!

We decided to throw a summer BBQ for our bible study, and invited a bunch of people over for burgers, yard games, and s’mores. It doesn’t get more summery than that, right?

I also whipped up with little number, which I’ll be sharing with you soon:

Caprese Quinoa Salad

I had a ton of fun hanging out with everyone, even if playing hostess always makes me run around like a crazy person! But I was able to get in a few games of cornhole, ladder golf and kan jam (which was definitely the highlight of the evening!)

Eventually we got out the fire pit, and had a great time sitting around, roasting s’mores and sharing some ridiculous stories. Before anyone knew it, it was after 10pm! Time flies…

Backyard BBQ

Sunday

After the craziness of Saturday, Chris and I were still up fairly early on Sunday because we had business to attend to! We hopped in the car and drove about 2 hours to the northwestern corner of VA to meet up with a Carolina Dog owner who was trying to rehome his dogs.

For those of you that don’t know, our dog Laney is a rare breed called a Carolina Dog, which are basically wild dogs that roam the swamps in the south (we had no idea when we got her. We just thought she was cute!). They are still a fairly new breed, and can be hard to find in VA, so we’re always keeping our eyes open in case any pop up in this area that we can help rescue.

Carolina Dog

Well sure enough “Wild” (aptly named) needed a place to live, so we went to pick her up to give her a try at our house. She really is pretty much wild and is going to require a lot of work on our end, so we’re not 100% sure yet whether she’s going to mesh with our family, but we figured that if nothing else, we can get her vetted and fit for a new home.

Now we just have to work on getting her to be less terrified! She is so stressed with her new environment right now, so Chris and I are doing what we can to make her more comfortable!

That ended up taking up most of my day, so sadly I didn’t get my workout planned as I hoped. Definitely not the best weekend on that front, but sometimes life just becomes more of a priority!

Hopefully I can fix that this week!

Overall, not too shabby for a weekend at home. I now have a (mostly) clean house and a stocked fridge, plus a new puppy to keep me busy!

So tell me: What did you do this weekend? Have you ever rescued a dog? Do you and your significant other have “date nights”?

1. Andrea July 14, 2014 at 8:39 am Reply

Gahhh, I love your huge yard!!!! Eric and I are moving to a tiny apartment in NJ next month, but someday….!

• MyFreckledLife July 14, 2014 at 9:29 am Reply

You’re moving to NJ???? I need to hear all the details!

• Andrea July 14, 2014 at 10:19 am Reply

Eric got a job in Hoboken, NJ which is a huge bedroom community for Manhattan – looks like we’re headin’ to the big city! I don’t have any job prospects yet so I’m in the middle of job hunting and resume/cover letter insanity. Should be interestinggg! Ready to move on from living like a grad student though! :)

• MyFreckledLife July 14, 2014 at 1:26 pm Reply

That’s so awesome!!!! Big city living! Haha. We definitely need to catch up soon, I feel so out of the loop!!

2. Diane @ Life of Di. July 14, 2014 at 8:48 am Reply

Our dog was actually found (by a shelter) wandering around in the woods as a puppy! Marty ended up adopting him when he was just a tiny little guy :) I much prefer to adopt animals; so many of them are in need of a good home!!
    Diane @ Life of Di. recently posted…Playing Photographer.My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 14, 2014 at 9:30 am Reply

Me too!! There are so many out there that spend their lives without anyone to love them!

3. Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? July 14, 2014 at 11:43 am Reply

We got our pup from the shelter. I love that you are fostering/trying to keep the new puppy. Super cute!!

• MyFreckledLife July 14, 2014 at 1:25 pm Reply

She’s definitely a handful, but I’m hoping it’ll work out. I just want her to have a happy, loving home!

4. Erin @ Erin's Inside Job July 14, 2014 at 4:11 pm Reply

Your weekend sounds awesome! Im going to comment on your yard too bc I would love to have one! One day…

I would also like to eat that food mystery please so bring me some.

Thats so sweet that you are taking in another dog!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Running and RelaxingMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 14, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reply

Haha we do love our yard! And you’ll just have to wait and see!!! :)

5. Amy @ Run with Perseverance July 14, 2014 at 9:50 pm Reply

Sounds like a fantastic weekend :) Love the VT chairs in the yard–I get so pumped seeing Tech stuff b/c down here in FL i don’t see much of it at all.

Our puppy is from the Humane Society, and even though she’s little, I can tell that something happened to her before we got her. She can be skittish in some situations, including around brooms/large cleaning supplies.
    Amy @ Run with Perseverance recently posted…Change-of-Plans Weekend + ZOOMA Training Week 7My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 15, 2014 at 8:02 am Reply

Sometime I’ll have to show you a picture of our basement. It’s all Tech decked out!

6. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 15, 2014 at 12:40 pm Reply

When Fabio and I have dates (whether that’s a lunch date, dinner date, or any other kind of date) we make it a rule to stack our phones on the table away from us, and no one is allowed to use their phones during the meal. I usually break the rule at some point to snap a picture haha, but that hardly counts ;) Can’t wait to hear how it goes with Wild!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted…How to Start Your Own Employee Wellness PlanMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 17, 2014 at 11:35 am Reply

That’s exactly what we’ve started doing, because we both have a terrible habit of being attached to our phones constantly!

7. Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication July 15, 2014 at 9:34 pm Reply

Looks like an awesome weekend! That food seriously looks AMAZING! I may have drooled…
    Ashley@AttemptsAtDomestication recently posted…Weekend Recap – HavenMy Profile