WIAW: Ginger Ale Edition

Wednesday already? Man this week is flying by! I think I must still be riding the vacation weekend high or something!

This week has actually been a pretty crazy one for us. Chris’ summer sports are in full swing, so he pretty much has something every single night. Which means that I’ve been trying to come up with meals that are even faster and easier (but still healthy) to make so that he can scarf them before he runs out the door. I’m pretty sure we haven’t actually sat at our dining room table for dinner in weeks!

Sigh, that’s just life right now – busy busy busy!

As usual though, I’m still trying to make sure that in during the busy times I’m still aiming for a healthy balance with my food. And thanks to Jenn, I can show you exactly what I’ve been eating lately!

If you’re not familiar with the WIAW concept, I highly encourage you to head over to Jenn’s blog and check out more. Plus you can see what a ton of other awesome bloggers have been chowing down on lately!

Breakfast

WIAW: Ginger Ale Edition

After a weekend of indulging, I’m back to my usual breakfast in the hopes that it’ll settle my system a little bit: plain oats with frozen berries, jam, natural peanut butter, and cinnamon. Super simple and super delicious! Recycled photo because I was being super lazy first thing in the morning!

Lunch

WIAW: Ginger Ale Edition

I have been on a serious salad kick for the last few weeks. It just never seems to get old! This one had butter lettuce, garden cherry tomatoes, cucumber, sundried tomato goat cheese, and poppyseed dressing. With a banana on the side. So many pretty colors!

Snack

WIAW: Ginger Ale Edition

Sadly by mid-afternoon I had a nasty stomach ache. I think my tummy is finally rebelling from all of the crap I ate this weekend (worth it!). I ended up going to the local convenience store to pick up some ginger ale and crackers in the hopes of making myself feel better. Thankfully it did help a bit, even if I felt like a pregnant lady walking in to pick up crackers and ginger ale in the middle of the work day! I swear I’m not pregnant (mom)!

Dinner

WIAW: Ginger Ale Edition

Since I wasn’t feeling great, I also wasn’t feeling very inspired in the cooking department. So after looking through all of our cabinets in the hopes that something would call to me, I ended up going with breakfast for dinner. Because you really can’t go wrong with BFD! I paired some scrambled eggs with half of a waffle. Not exactly the greenest or healthiest meal, but sometimes you just have to go with what your body is asking for. And my tummy just couldn’t handle anything but bland carbs and eggs.

It’s all about balance after all! Super green lunch, less than green dinner. Sometimes that’s just real life!

Workout

I had originally planned on going to the gym after work, but thanks to my tummy troubles, that didn’t end up happening. I did get in a 2 mile walk to and from the convenience store to pick up my ginger ale, so I guess that counts for something, right? We’ll call this an active rest day.

Well there you haven’t – not my finest of days, but again, that’s just real life. In the end, I’m happy that I managed to get in a fruit and veggie filled lunch to balance out my less-than-optimal dinner!

So tell me: What did you eat today? Are you a fan of ginger ale and crackers when you’re sick?

For some reason ginger ale always brings me back to elementary school, and thinking that ginger ale had some magical healing powers!

Tagged: , ,

1. Erin @ Erin'e Inside Job July 9, 2014 at 9:52 am Reply

I love peanut butter crackers! I can’t say Im a huge fan of ginger ale, but that was definitely our remedy while I was growing up. We got ginger ale with saltines, which are not as delicious as peanut butter crackers. I forgot about my obsession with them until now.

I hope you are feeling better today!!
    Erin @ Erin’e Inside Job recently posted…Family Fun and FireworksMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 9, 2014 at 6:38 pm Reply

Thanks, I’m feeling much better! And yes, there is something about crackers and peanut butter that just cant be beat!

2. Julie @ my sweet n healthy life July 9, 2014 at 10:23 am Reply

I’m also on a salad kick these days (weeks?!)! It’s pretty much my lunch at work every. single. day. It just never gets old!
    FYI, I posted a salmon burger recipe on my blog today! It takes 5 minutes to make and 10 minutes to cook! That might be a good option for both you and Chris!
    Julie @ my sweet n healthy life recently posted…Good food box and all the ice cream!My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm Reply

Yummm!! I cant wait to check it out! I’ve been looking for a good salmon burger to try!

3. Leslie @ Life Begins @ 30? July 9, 2014 at 11:08 am Reply

I have been on a salad kick since I did the 24DC with Advocare. I’m so glad that I was reminded of my love of a good salad! A much better lunch option than something processed. :) And BFD is always a good idea. You can’t go wrong there!

• MyFreckledLife July 9, 2014 at 11:11 pm Reply

The 24DC totally got me in to lunch salads too! And now 2 months later I’m still going strong!

4. Angela July 9, 2014 at 12:22 pm Reply

I’ve been really digging the salads lately too. They never get old because there are so many great combos you can put on a salad! The ginger ale and cracker thing is MUST when I’m not feeling well. If i try to eat anything but that there will be trouble.

BFD I love because I just love breakfast foods. When we went to China, there was no breakfast foods like what we consume so I was a little sad. I could eat breakfast foods for all my meals.
    Angela recently posted…Five steps to become more proactiveMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 9, 2014 at 11:12 pm Reply

No breakfast foods at all???? That’s just… sad!

5. Diane @ Life of Di. July 9, 2014 at 1:59 pm Reply

Breakfast for dinner is always my go-to when I’m uninspired. I think it’s because I love breakfast food so much and could eat it for the majority of my meals. :) Also, Seagrams is the best Ginger Ale! Yum.
    Diane @ Life of Di. recently posted…Playing Photographer.My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 9, 2014 at 11:13 pm Reply

Ironically enough I rarely ever eat real breakfast food for breakfast! I tend to save them just for BFD for some reason

6. Carmy July 9, 2014 at 2:11 pm Reply

Breakfast for dinner is the best and no one can tell me otherwise!! haha
    Carmy recently posted…WIAW! #4 (Summerlicious!)My Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 10, 2014 at 10:26 am Reply

Amen to that!

7. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats July 9, 2014 at 3:26 pm Reply

I definitely go to gingerale when I’m not feeling my best. It does seem like it has magic powers! Sorry you weren’t feeling well! That waffle looks delish.
    Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted…WIAW #81: Back on the wagonMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 10, 2014 at 10:26 am Reply

Thanks! And I seriously swear by ginger ale. It’s the only time I ever drink soda

8. Diana July 10, 2014 at 12:40 am Reply

I tend to stick to water when I am sick( or drink blue power-aid if barfy…gross I know). I do love breakfast for dinner (my husband calls it brinner) and have it at least a few times a month. Last Thursday we had ricotta waffles topped with greek yogurt and blueberries. Yum!
    Diana recently posted…Swim workout: KICKING/PULLING and interpersonal relationships at DAMMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife July 10, 2014 at 10:27 am Reply

Yummm, those waffles sound delicious! And ever since I drank blue gatorade when I had the flu, I just cant do it anymore. Too many gross memories! Haha