neVer forgeT 4.16.07

7 years ago today was the worst day of my life.

It was one of those days where a mere 24 hour period felt like it lasted a week, every second stretching out for what felt like hours.

7 years ago today was a day that changed my perspective on the world, and how I live my life. When my safety and security were ripped right out from underneath me when I was least expecting it.

7 years ago today is when I encountered true evil, and it shattered my heart.

(source)

7 years ago today was the horrible shooting at Virginia Tech that took the lives of 32 of my classmates and professors, and changed the lives of thousands.

It might as well have been yesterday.

This is always a hard week for me. My emotions run high and my heart aches to be in Blacksburg where it belongs. 7 years later and I’m still grieving for my classmates and the futures that they could have had. For the lives they could have changed.

Time has healed many wounds, but every year on this day it opens up just a little bit again, as I watch everyone else go on about there day like it’s just another chilly day in April. But I always remember what snow in mid-April means to me.

So on this day, I encourage you to spend a few extra minutes thinking about your loved ones. Take the time to say an extra “I love you” or do something kind for someone else. Help a stranger. Give a little something back. Do it to continue to spread love in this world,  instead of the hatred and evil that seems to run so rampant. Do it for those who will never get the chance.

Today I’m spending my evening working at the Food Bank. Not because that’s my idea of a perfect Wednesday night, but because many of my friends and classmates made a point to make volunteering and helping others a major part of their world. So I’m doing it for them.

So to Stack, Leslie and Madame, and all of the others who were killed, injured or affected on this chilly day in April in 2007 – today I’m living for you.

329 Strong. Je me Souviens. Springfield love.

neVer forgeT. <3

1. Krista @ Tiny n Fit April 16, 2014 at 7:04 am Reply

Lovely post- love and prayers for you and everyone grieving today and always <3
    Krista @ Tiny n Fit recently posted…Totally Random ThoughtsMy Profile

2. Sarah (Fit Happens) April 16, 2014 at 7:59 am Reply

I cant imagine what that must have been like, that is wonderful you made today a good day and choose to help others. God bless.
    Sarah (Fit Happens) recently posted…The Good, the Bad, and the FunnyMy Profile

3. Samantha @ Anatomy of My World April 16, 2014 at 8:19 am Reply

I was a senior in high school when this happened and it was such a tragic, horrific day. Prayers are up for every victim and family member and friend and classmates involved 7 years ago today.
    Samantha @ Anatomy of My World recently posted…I am…My Profile

4. Jamie @ Rise.Run.Mom.Repeat. April 16, 2014 at 8:38 am Reply

Sending you virtual hugs today, Stephanie.
    Jamie @ Rise.Run.Mom.Repeat. recently posted…A Week of Magic part 5My Profile

5. Erin @ Erin's Inside Job April 16, 2014 at 9:39 am Reply

Oh man that is an awful thing to go through. I really like that you are spending the day helping others; I think that is really awesome and commendable. You are in my thoughts and prayers today!
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Supoon ReviewMy Profile

6. Rana @Destination: 26.2 April 16, 2014 at 10:59 am Reply

This was truly a terrible day, I still remember that sinking feeling thinking of all my friends there. I couldn’t imagine what it must have been like to be there. It’s great that you have something positive to do to remember those lost.
    Rana @Destination: 26.2 recently posted…Boston StrongMy Profile

7. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 16, 2014 at 4:58 pm Reply

My thoughts and prayers are with you today!!