Sh*t Healthy People Say

Sorry for the crude title, but I just couldn’t help myself.

I was having a conversation with my coworker the other day, and as we were talking about dinner plans, she said something along the lines of “I know you’re probably just going to eat a salad or something.” Umm, what? I mean, I like salads and all, but that wasn’t actually on the menu for tonight. I don’t eat salads ALL the time!

It got me thinking about all of the things that other people THINK that “healthy” people say or do, which are falsely inaccurate.

For some reason the general public often have a very different impression of “healthy” people than reality. Basically, it’s somehow understood that we are all veggie-eating, salad-only, runners who think of nothing but kale and brussel sprouts and only talk about our workouts.

Which may be somewhat true, but not to the extreme that they seem to imagine. Don’t get me wrong, I like veggies and running, but I’m still human! I still enjoy eating a slice of cheesecake or spending 6 hours on the couch marathoning a TV show. So I thought we’d explore some of these inaccuracies for fun today.

Sht Healthy People Say

(Please note, these are all tongue-in-cheek responses. I do not mean to offend anyone with my statements here. I’m poking just as much fun at myself!)

Sht Healthy People say 1

What we’re really thinking: I kind of want to climb over this table and shove that entire gooey, deliciousness into my face.

However, the practical part of my brain remembers that pizza probably isn’t the healthiest choice, and I’m making a genuine effort to eat clean and fuel my body with only the best foods. I know that most pizzas are full of oils and saturated fats that, while delicious, really shouldn’t be something that I’m eating every day, so I’m trying to make an effort to avoid them.

But boy does that look way more delicious than my kale salad. I normally love kale, but somehow it just doesn’t compare to that amazingness. But focus, stay strong, kale is a better choice. Just ignore the pepperoni slice that just fell to the floor. Not even the 5 second rule applies here.

LOOK AWAY!!

Sht Healthy People Say 2

Truth: I really, really, REALLY would give anything to be there. And I’m currently fighting an epic battle in my brain to try and figure out if this is actually a legitimate excuse to get out of my 11-mile run that I’ve kind of been dreading.

But I really need to make this run if I’m going to feel fully comfortable before this half marathon. I’ve had a few bad runs recently, and the weather has kind of messed up my schedule, so it is really vital to my training plan to get this run in. And it’s only 11-miles, that’s not that bad right? What am I saying, I would so rather be at this BBQ!

Is there any way that I can move my run to Sunday? It’s only supposed to be rainy and 40 degrees, I can still manage right? No, no, no… focus. You need this run. There will be other BBQs, AFTER the half marathon is over. It’ll be worth it when you get that PR you’ve been working towards! Just remember that runner’s high at the end!

Sht Healthy people Say 3

Reality: Man, why do you look so cute when I look so gross? Don’t get me wrong, I love me some yoga pants. But I probably smell like that beefy guy that doesn’t seem to understand personal space at the weight rack. I hope you can’t smell me from here.

I probably should have actually showered, or least put some dry shampoo in my hair, before I decided to run errands! But honestly I had to fit my workout in somewhere – I’m not exactly made of time here! So if I wanted to get in some grocery shopping between my workouts and my real life, this was the only way to get it done, stinky clothes and all.

I guess on the bright side, at least I didn’t run into an ex-boyfriend or that hot guy from the office. THAT would have been awkward.

Sht Healthy People Say 4

What we’re really thinking: THIS SUCKS! I would give just about anything to get out of this 4:45am workout tomorrow. I’ve even considered accidently leaving my phone somewhere, JUST so I wouldn’t have to hear that horrible alarm. And I haven’t been out dancing in forever! I’m sure this one time wouldn’t hurt.

But then again, I have been on this great schedule getting my workouts in first thing in the morning. And I just feel so great having them out of the way and over with before breakfast! Nothing energizes me quite like a 6:00am Bootcamp class! And if I went out dancing, I’d just be exhausted all day tomorrow, AND I’d miss my workout.

Honestly, it’s probably for the best. We’ll just have to find a way to catch up over coffee or something at a more reasonable hour. Then again, dancing is kind of cardio…

The truth is, we as healthy people are no different than anyone else. We just make conscious decisions to choose the healthier option. We choose kale salad over pizza and 4:45am workouts over staying out late. We make the effort to fit workouts in where we can into our already busy schedules, and prioritize training plans, workout classes, and general exercise a part of our lives.

And sometimes that does mean that we make sacrifices. But we’re ok with that, because we know that it’s in the best interest of our own health and wellness.

But that doesn’t mean that we don’t have an internal battle every time you offer us a slice of cake or a chance to skip a workout in favor of fun.

We may be healthy, but we’re still human!

So tell me: What are some things that you think “healthy people say” (can be serious or sarcastic)? Have you ever had a time when someone has assumed something about your healthy lifestyle?

1. Becky @ Olives n Wine April 8, 2014 at 8:28 am Reply

OMG, dying… Seriously, this is so true. My coworkers always knock me for my fitness and eating habits. And my friends are definitely going to think I’m lame this summer when I’m going to bed at 9pm so I can get up and marathon train on Saturday mornings.
    Becky @ Olives n Wine recently posted…#30 Treat Yourself TuesdayMy Profile

2. Samantha @ Anatomy of My World April 8, 2014 at 8:57 am Reply

Such a perfect post! That 11-mile run one literally happened to me this weekend! I had 11 miles on the agenda for my half coming up in a few weeks and had plans to head in to the city with friends that day too. I opted out of the plans and ran instead and got so much shit from friends saying “you can always run tomorrow” or “you’re always running you don’t need to run now”… No, sorry, I’ve been training for this run and I’m not going to quit now. I’ll meet y’all later.
    Samantha @ Anatomy of My World recently posted…Tuesday TunesMy Profile

3. Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian April 8, 2014 at 9:40 am Reply

This is so true. It’s all about priorities, and for some people, going out dancing on a Saturday night is a priority and for others it isn’t. THAT’S OK! But I hear ya, it’s hard to say no to a fun activity when you know you have to fit in a long run. The other person just doesn’t understand.
    Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted…ClassPass: My Final ReviewMy Profile

4. KIm April 8, 2014 at 3:39 pm Reply

These made me chuckle!!! I will admit to turning in early on a Friday night because I want to be rested for my killer early morning workout!
    KIm recently posted…Carrot Cake MuffinsMy Profile

5. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 8, 2014 at 3:49 pm Reply

Love these! Pizza over kale though? I don’t think I’m strong enough to forgo that one, haha!! Give me the cheese! Maybe just throw some kale on top?? ;)
    Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted…Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race RecapMy Profile

6. Rosi" April 8, 2014 at 5:21 pm Reply

About five years ago when I really amp’d up my workouts and clean eating I lost 30-35 pounds and people kept making remarks like I was starving myself. In some ways it was disappointing because I was working really hard at taking the steps I needed to get where I wanted to be but more than disappointing I found it sad that so many people think the only way to “be healthy” is to deprive yourself. It’s too bad because honestly I think I was eating more than I had before, enjoying some deliciously healthy food, and doing workouts that had me feeling so strong.
    Rosi” recently posted…Keepin’ it Cool, a New FavoriteMy Profile

7. GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth April 8, 2014 at 9:04 pm Reply

HAHA these are hilarious. I’ve had friends call me a fraud because I eat cookies. Never mind that I make them using whole ingredients and know they’re healthy. Apparently I’m only supposed to eat half a grapefruit and kale chips as snacks…lol
    GiselleR @ Diary of an ExSloth recently posted…Sweet Potato Pizza Crust Recipe {Vegan, GF}My Profile

8. Kristen April 9, 2014 at 12:20 am Reply

Haha great post! The cute outfit one is good – I’m always finding myself out and about after running at the park and I’m terrified I’ll run into someone I know or that the lady in front of me at the checkout will think I smell. All because I ran out of chocolate milk and bananas and needed to stop on my way home from working out! Oh well! And the BBQ vs 11 miler has happened to me before. When the 11 miler wins it really is the best feeling ever, even though it sucks!
    Kristen recently posted…Try New Things Tuesday: Volunteering At A Race!My Profile

9. Erin @ Erin's Inside Job April 9, 2014 at 9:58 am Reply

Oh man so true. I end up sometimes feeling bad when I make comments about declining a giant piece of cake or talking about exercise. There’s absolutely no reason for me to make myself feel bad about making healthier choices! I’ve had people at work make plenty of comments about my eating (choices, not enough, etc), but I have come to realize that they make those comments because of whatever is going on with THEM, not me.

I definitely agree with all of those statements though…too funny :)
    Erin @ Erin’s Inside Job recently posted…Almond TrifectaMy Profile

10. Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie April 9, 2014 at 9:30 pm Reply

Oh my gosh- I seriously love this post! Everything is SO true!!
    Brie @ Lean, Clean, & Brie recently posted…{WIAW} Meatless MealsMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 14, 2014 at 6:49 am Reply

I’m glad you enjoyed it!

11. Diana April 10, 2014 at 1:10 am Reply

This is an awesome post. I totally want to eat the pizza/cake/whatever. It drives me crazy that people (especially my in-laws) are constantly telling me I can eat whatever I want because I am skinny and I workout. Um no… I am skinny because I watch what I eat (most of the time). Thankfully I’ve surrounded myself with like-minded friends and a husband who understand that I cannot stay out past 10pm on the weekend because I have a 10 mile run scheduled every Saturday and biking and running on Sunday.
    Diana recently posted…Workout week (in review)My Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 14, 2014 at 6:50 am Reply

Exactly! People don’t always understand the effort that goes into living a healthy lifestyle! It doesnt come so easy!