Exciting and Not Exciting News

So yea. It’s Monday.

Crap, apparently it's Monday again.

That pretty much sums up how I feel about Monday.

It probably has something to do with the fact that a) I had a work event for most of Saturday, so I kind of feel like I got jipped a little out of my weekend away from work, and b) we went to bed WAY too late last night thanks to trying to finish up our taxes. We were bad and totally procrastinated this year!

So busy weekend + lack of sleep + one less day of actual time away from work = grumpy, Monday morning Stephanie.

Thankfully this week is shaping up to be way less busy and stressful than last week, so I’m hoping that it it’ll turn into a nice, springy April week!

Speaking of Spring, let’s take a look at what I did this weekend, now that the spring weather finally has decided to make an appearance!

Friday

To be honest with you, Friday was about the least exciting night ever. For real.

I came home from work, took the night off from the gym, ate leftovers for dinner, watched some Veronica Mars with Chris, and was in bed by 9:45pm.

Like I said, basically the most boring night ever. That’s just how we roll sometimes!

But it was probably good, because Saturday ending up being one of the busiest days ever!

Saturday

Sadly I had to be up at 5:15am for a work event. Yes, 5:15 on a Saturday. Basically, they were trying to torture me. Thankfully it was not an event I had to dress up for, because I basically just threw my logo shirt and some jeans, grabbed breakfast to eat in the car, and made it to the event by 6:30am.

And it was still dark.

Luckily though, our event went off amazingly well, and the kids had an awesome time (which is really all that matters in the end anyway). And because we have an awesome team (and a ton of awesome volunteers), we were out of the event by a little after noon! Yay!!!

I was completely and utterly exhausted by the time I got home after running around like a crazy person for 6 hours, but I knew that if I didn’t get my work out in immediately, it just wouldn’t happen. So I sucked it up and completed an Insanity workout, paired with a Blogilates arm workout.

Then I took a nap.

By the time I finally woke up, I was feeling much better. And I was absolutely famished. So Chris and I decided to go to an early (for us) dinner at a local Fredericksburg sushi restaurant that has been recommended to us about a million times – Umi Fredericksburg!

Sushi from Umi Fredericksburg

We started off with the Tuna spoons. I haven’t the slightest idea what was in them, because they were a secret non-menu item that came highly recommended to us. But it basically seemed like shrimp/crab wrapped in tuna, topped with a jalapeno slice and in this amazing soy sauce-ish broth. SO GOOD.

Sushi from Umi Fredericksburg

And then we basically ate our bodyweight in sushi – eel roll, philadelphia roll, spicy salmon roll, godzilla roll and the spicy girl roll. Holy cow, it was amazing. If you are ever in Fredericksburg, I highly recommend Umi!

The rest of the evening was spent digesting and marathoning some more Veronica Mars! So glad that I was able to get Chris hooked on it too! If you’re a Veronica Mars fan too, then we’re pretty much automatically friends.

Sunday

Sunday was another early morning, because we had a lot of things to get done and not nearly enough time to do them! So we sucked it up and got up early to get our half marathon training run in.

6 mile half marathon training run

We started with a neighborhood 6 miler, which ended up being an awesome run! I can definitely tell that we’re already way better trained for this race than any of our previous runs. I wouldn’t quite call this run easy, but we held a great pace without much struggle, and I didn’t feel at any point like I was about to die. So I call that a major success!

Chris had to run (HA!) to ref a soccer game, so I headed out on the second part of the training run on my own. To my arch nemesis, also referred to as “Hospital Hill”.

(source)

Hospital Hill also happens to be the miles 10-12 of the Historic Half Marathon that I’ll be running in May. As you can see… it’s kind of a beast. A 200+ foot elevation increase over 2 miles. Talk about a bear. And right at the end of the race too!

Thankfully it’s basically in my backyard, so I’ve been trying to get out there and take some trial runs just to get used to it. And maybe make it slightly less scary!

2 mile hill half marathon training run

I didn’t run the whole shebang (for traffic reasons), but I ran the steepest section twice, just to get a feel for it. Especially since my legs were already fairly tired from my 6 miler, I thought it would be good practice for the end of the race. It’s definitely still a bear, no matter how many times I run it or go through it mentally.

Rehydrating drink - Ignite Naturals

I was definitely in need of some major hydration by the end! I’m still loving my Ignite Naturals IN Refresh drinks!

After running some errands, in my sweaty running clothes no less, I ran home and cleaned up quickly because Chris and I had big plans for the afternoon – driving down to Williamsburg to check out a new puppy!

We’ve been saying for the last year or so that we would really like to get another dog of Laney’s breed (which is pretty rare), so we’ve been keeping our eyes open to see if any shelters came across any. Her breed, Carolina Dog, comes from the SC/GA area and it’s fairly rare to see them up this way, so when we saw one come up in VA, we had to go check her out!!

Sadly, it didn’t work out like we’d planned. When we got there, she actually ended up looking more like a mix than a real Carolina dog. And while we would have still considered her, once we brought Laney out to meet her we knew that it just wasn’t meant to be. This new dog wanted NOTHING to do with Laney, and kept trying to attack her. Bummer! Clearly she was meant to find another family.

So we headed back home and joined up with Chris’ family for our usual Sunday night dinner.

Move It Monday

Anyway, that was basically my weekend! And because I had some bummer news with not getting the puppy that we were hoping, I figured I should balance it out with some good news!

The lovely Erin from Erinside Job and Rana from Destination 26pt2 and I have joined forces to create an awesome Monday linkup!

Basically we want you to share anything that involves getting your sweat on! Any workouts you completed, fitness challenges you accomplished, goals you’ve set, or basically anything where you move at all! We know that weekends can get crazy busy, but it’s still so important to find ways to keep moving, so we want to celebrate those successes!

Here are the rules:

Share your post in the link-up below. Please make sure to visit all the co-hoster’s links, along with at least 1 other link from the linkup. As a community of bloggers, we think it’s important to spread the love!

1. So glad you’re considering adoption instead of shopping! :)
    Ashley from Sweaty Girl in a Fur-Covered World recently posted…This Week in Workouts | 02.23.14My Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:43 am Reply

I’m all about adoption!

2. Tracy @ Tracy Tris April 7, 2014 at 9:59 am Reply

I have always thought the Historic Half sounded like a great race. That elevation at the end though? Cruel and unusual punishment!
    Excited to have found you through the link-up! I’m also in VA and a VT alum (I checked your bio :) )!
    Tracy @ Tracy Tris recently posted…Pluses and MinusesMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:44 am Reply

Other than that last hill, the race itself is great. Great course, well organized, and a great amount of energy! If only that hill wasn’t at the very end… haha. And yay for other VA bloggers AND VT alums!!!

3. Lindsay @ Typically Late April 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm Reply

Sorry the puppy didn’t work out :( but another will come along and be a perfect fit for you guys! Totally impressed that you are practicing Hospital Hill – it is so awful. Good work!
    Lindsay @ Typically Late recently posted…Delicious dinner & yard surprisesMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:45 am Reply

I’m just hoping that maybe if I practice on it, I will be more mentally prepared come race day. Not sure how well this philosophy is actually going to work, but we can try!

4. Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily April 7, 2014 at 4:05 pm Reply

Sounds like a great, active weekend…can’t wait for those again! That hill looks like a cruel joke at the end of a race, good luck to you!
    Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily recently posted…38 WeeksMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:46 am Reply

It is so cruel! But all Marine Corps races end on a hill (in rememberance of Iwo Jima when soldiers had to climb a hill), so I guess at least there is a purpose! This one just seems to be especially brutal!

5. Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 7, 2014 at 6:32 pm Reply

That sushi looks delicious!

We considered adopting another dog about a year ago but we could tell that he and Stewie just wouldn’t jive. I think Stewie likes to be the king around here!
    Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted…Meal Plan Monday: 4/7My Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:47 am Reply

Haha I definitely understand that. We’ve had so many other dogs (foster and friend’s dogs) come through our house that I think Laney could care less. So it’s really more about the other dog at this point!

6. JenB April 7, 2014 at 7:06 pm Reply

See … now I dread the weekends. I much prefer my routine Mon-Thurs, so I’m always happy to get back at in Monday morning :)

I watched Veronica Mars a while back. Kristen Bell is a talented actress. I haven’t seen Frozen yet (I have boys), but I watched the viral video of her singing “Do You Want To Build a Snowman” and was very impressed.

Fun to see you and the hubs working out together. I’m hoping my hubby gets back on the bandwagon. We used to have racquetball dates, and I really miss that!
    JenB recently posted…PACT and PaydaysMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:48 am Reply

I definitely enjoy working out with Chris. It’s like a win-win, because we get to spend time together AND we get to be active together. We don’t always have the same gym schedules, but we definitely do what we can to make it work! And you definitely need to see Frozen!

7. Rana@Destination:26.2 April 7, 2014 at 8:21 pm Reply

That stinks you had to work allll day Saturday. I was complaining from working only a couple hours. But glad you got some fun in on Sunday. Man you are speedy!

• MyFreckledLife April 8, 2014 at 6:49 am Reply

Haha thank you. Speed work has been a big thing for me this year! I honestly think it almost has more to do with all the cross training I’ve done and less about the actual running!

8. Macy Mae Rivers April 9, 2014 at 12:03 am Reply

I can definitely relate to schedules like this. Eventhough I don’t work in an office, working as a fulltime housewife, meeting up friends for a business proposal, catching up my write ups on the net are sometimes hard to manage. Sometimes I just wish that I could make myself teleport to another place (perhaps the mountain or the beach; or a river) where I could spend a moment to unwind and find tranquility. But reality check, I need to do it since it’s a priority. Good thing you are still able to make-up with your running routine.

9. Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats April 9, 2014 at 1:01 pm Reply

Sorry to hear about the puppy :( Like you said though, she will find the right home! That sushi looks amazing! The linkup looks great too…I’ll try to remember to link up!
    Chelsea @ Chelsea Eats Treats recently posted…Cherry Blossom 10 Miler Race RecapMy Profile

10. Amy @ Run with Perseverance April 10, 2014 at 10:38 pm Reply

Sorry the puppy didn’t work out :( The sushi looks awesome, as does your run! The only hills I can really run down here in FL are bridges. I run the bridges every now and then, especially when I’m running a race that includes one of those bridges! Definitely helps to train on the hills you’re going to run :)
    Amy @ Run with Perseverance recently posted…WIAW #30: Routine Change-UpMy Profile

11. […] (hilly) miles around our neighborhood, and then hopping into the car and headed over to the dreaded Hospital Hill and got in a mile of insane hills there. I don’t care how many times I run that thing, it still […]