Well it looks like we’ve officially survived the Polar Vortex around here.
I’ll admit, I was KIND OF hoping for snow day #3, even though I knew there was like zero chance that it would happen. I could really get used to the hanging out at home thing. I got so much stuff done yesterday! I caught up on my DVR, got some art projects started, and even put up new social media icons on the blog (check them out in the sidebar!) It was a pretty terrific day!
And I did all of it in my PJs. Well, at least until like 6pm when a friend convinced me to brave the roads for a BodyAttack class (something that was totally new to both of us). But still, PJs until 5pm? I could definitely get used to that.
So I guess today is officially my Monday, and I’m headed back to work. At least the weekend is only 2 days away, although I have a feeling it’s going to be quite the busy one. If only it could warm up a little, it would definitely make my life a lot easier. I don’t know how I feel about this whole 4 degrees thing (I know, you Midwesterners are laughing over there. But this Virginia girl doesn’t do cold weather).
Anyway, I wanted to introduce you all to something new that I created for this week: Thirty Minute Thursday!
Since my quick, weeknight idea seems to have gotten the thumbs up from you all, I thought I’d start a new regular feature here on MFL: Thirty Minute Thursday! I’m hoping to be able to share many of the quick and easy recipes that I typically make during the week (some are so simple, it’s almost pathetic) and then hopefully you all can share some of your favorite weeknight meals as well!
A few facts about TMT recipes:
- Typically use ingredients that I already have on hand
- Most should take approximately 30 minutes or less
- I do my best to make them full meals that include a protein, carb and veggies (lots of them!)
I hope you all enjoy this new feature! Again, I’d love to hear about some of your favorite, go-to, or new weeknight recipes. If there are enough of them, maybe I might even make this into a link party so we all can share! Because really, who has time to cook super fancy meals on a weeknight?!? Am.I.Right?
Well let’s get to the first ever TMT recipe!
Gnocchi with Tomato and Veggie Cream Sauce
Makes approximately 4 services
- 1 chicken breast, sliced into inch long slices
- 1 yellow onion, sliced
- 1 pkg mushrooms, washed and sliced
- 1 cup frozen spinach
- 1 can diced tomatoes (I used no salt added kind)
- 1/4 cup pasta sauce
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Crushed Red pepper, to taste
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Olive Oil
- 1 pkg whole wheat gnocchi (or other pasta of your choice)
1. Heat small amount of olive oil in pan on medium. Once heated, add in chicken pieces, and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Flip as needed. Remove from heat once cooked.
2. Heat small amount of olive oil in additional pan on medium. Once heated, add in minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add in onion and mushrooms, and cook until onions are transparent. Add in frozen spinach and cook for additional few minutes until spinach is fully heated.
3. Add diced tomatoes, pasta sauce, and greek yogurt to veggie mix and stir thoroughly. Reduce heat to low, and cook for several minutes until heated through. Add crushed red pepper, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Cook gnocchi or pasta of your choice per the directions on the package.
5. Serve gnocchi topped with pasta sauce and chicken.
I hope you enjoyed today’s first ever Thirty Minute Thursday recipe! I’m definitely hoping to continue this feature and share lots more recipes with you guys! I’d also love to hear from you about what kinds of meals you make on weeknights when you’re low on time and energy!
So tell me: What do you typically make on weeknights? Do you have a go-to weeknight meal? Do you plan it out or do you typically wing it based on what you have in the fridge?