What’s in my Grocery Cart?

Happy snow day!!

At least for those of you on the east coast!

The best part of this snow day so far? It hasn’t even actually started snowing yet! So it’s kind of like just another free day. Which is totally a-OK in my book.

So far, my day has consisted of sleeping in, hanging out in my PJs, eating pancakes, and watching TV. That is totally my kind of snow day! I guess I’ll have to do a few productive things later, but this is at least a good way to start.

Anyone else experiencing a snow day today? Do you actually have snow? They say it’s supposed to hit here at any time, and they are talking a few inches (which for VA is a lot), but I’ll believe it when I see it!

What’s in my Grocery Cart

So I thought I’d do something I haven’t done in FOREVER around here – talk about a grocery haul!

Now I don’t know about you, but I actually really love reading about what other people are buying. Mostly it’s because I’m nosy, but I also enjoy them because they always give me new ideas on things to buy or make for myself! So hopefully you find this enjoyable too.

IMG_4258

I do want to mention that while we have plenty of staple pantry items in our house right now (beans, pastas, sauces, spices, etc), we were definitely lacking some of the staples or veggies to bring things together. I would say that this is a pretty basic haul for us in terms of things that we eat on a daily/weekly basis.

Also, all of this shopping was done at Wegmans. The only thing not pictured is some beer that Chris wanted, and considering that he’s probably going to end up drinking it while watching hockey with his friends, I didn’t feel as though it needed to be in the picture.

So here we go: Grocery Haul for January 20th, 2014!

- Individually wrapped chicken breasts (10)

- Individually wrapped pork chops (2)

- Quick cook oats

- Almond/Coconut Milk

- Unsweetened applesauce

- Frosted shredded wheat cereal

- Plain greek yogurt

- Frozen broccoli cuts (2)

- Smart Balance Olive Oil butter

- Mixed peppers (3)

- Cherry tomatoes

- Frozen green beans

- Chocolate Hazelnut decaf coffee grounds

- Romaine Hears

- Bananas

As for what I’m going to DO with these things this week, here is generally what I’m thinking:

Tuesday: Salmon with veggies and brown rice

Wednesday: Gnocchi with veggies and a tomato cream sauce

Thursday: Grilled marinated pork chops with veggies and couscous

Friday: Work event – so I’ll have to pick up something for dinner after the event

I hope that you guys find these hauls as interesting as I do. Maybe I’m just super nosy, but I’d love to see or hear about what your grocery trips look like! I’m always up for new ideas!

So tell me: What do your grocery hauls usually look like? What stores do you typically shop at? What is on your meal plan for the week?

1. My eating habits have been all over the place lately. I was on a clean eating kick and then I went onto a low carb, no dairy diet. The month of December was really bad for me and I fell off the wagon hard. Deplorable eating habits and zero gym time due to a car accident and then getting pneumonia.

I was thinking about just going back to counting calories but after trying that this week I realized that I’m just not disciplined enough and that I need the rigid structure of a strict meal plan to keep me on track.

Wow, this has turned out to be a really long winded answer to such a simple questions. Can you imagine how chatty I am in person? LOL.

I mostly shop at Wal-Mart and Kroger with the occasional Costco trip.

My grocery list consists of eggs, chicken breasts, spaghetti squash, pasta sauce, tuna, green apples, almonds, romaine, tomatoes, onion, talapia, and a variety of frozen veggies.

P.S. I’m excited and honored to be a Girls Gone Sporty Ambassador with you!
    Ashley from Sweaty Girl in a Fur-Covered World recently posted…This Week in Workouts | 01.19.14My Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:42 pm Reply

First of all, yay for GGS! Secondly, those sound like great staples. I’ll be honest and say that I dont eat tuna nearly enough and I definitely need to make spaghetti squash more often! Thirdly, I definitely feel you in terms of trying to find a diet/lifestyle that works for you. That’s something I feeling like I’m always trying to find! Definitely sometimes made more difficult by having a meat and carb loving (and sometimes veggie hating) husband!

2. Samantha @ Anatomy of My World January 21, 2014 at 12:34 pm Reply

I got a snow day from school today! It’s always hard because I commute and while I go to school in Arlington, I live 45 minutes away north close to the mountains. So I keep getting snapchats from my classmates showing maybe an inch of snow there, while I have about 3 almost 4 inches at my house!

Yay for snow days :)
    Samantha @ Anatomy of My World recently posted…Heavy HeartMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reply

Holy cow! How much did you get overall? We had probably about 2 inches here in Fredericksburg, which is a lot for us! a day later and my roads are still a mess!

3. Kelsey @ Blonder Side of Life January 21, 2014 at 1:53 pm Reply

I LOVE bein nosy about what others buy for groceries. I’m always looking for new ideas for meals and whatnot so thanks for lettin me take a peek into your cart :D
    Kelsey @ Blonder Side of Life recently posted…Early Morning Run…Yay or Nay?My Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:44 pm Reply

I’m glad I’m not the only one!

4. Carly January 21, 2014 at 5:25 pm Reply

I love these posts as well! Probably because I’m the worst grocery shopper ever and always end up with very few things to put together for meals somehow!
    Carly recently posted…my ultimate wish listMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:45 pm Reply

I can definitely be like that sometimes. I always either buy way too much stuff and I dont have any staples to use, or I live off of only staples. It’s a balancing act!

5. Amy @ Run with Perseverance January 21, 2014 at 7:50 pm Reply

Oh….snow days (we don’t have those in Florida). I miss those, especially the ones that are called before it even starts snowing! That’s what happened to the schools in Richmond today…cracks me up!
    Amy @ Run with Perseverance recently posted…Weekend RecapMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:47 pm Reply

That’s definitely true, Florida doesnt really get winter. haha. Then again, sometimes VA doesnt either. We just like to freak out over 2 inches of snow!

6. GiGi Eats Celebrities January 21, 2014 at 11:26 pm Reply

Whacha making with that chicken :) I never buy chicken because I never know what to do with it!

I love grocery shopping though, I get so excited when I have to go – LOL! I always wind up with spinach, spaghetti squash, salmon, green beans & nori! :D

And no snow over here in LA – if anything it’s abnormally HOT for January – 80s?!? HUH??
    GiGi Eats Celebrities recently posted…Banish Your Kryptonite!My Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:50 pm Reply

80s in January!?! Definitely a little different than VA! Chicken is definitely a staple for me! I dont eat red meat, so I’m all about the poultry! I have a couple of good chicken recipes on my recipe page, but I haven’t decided what I’m making with this chicken yet! What do you do with nori? I’ve only ever used it to make sushi!

7. Kim January 22, 2014 at 2:07 pm Reply

I love seeing people’s grocery hauls! I love Trader joe’s but usuay end up at the local Giant Eagle.
    Kim recently posted…Protein Bar CrazeMy Profile

• MyFreckledLife January 22, 2014 at 4:51 pm Reply

Man, I wish I had a TJs close by! Our closest one is about an hour away, which just isnt conducive to frequent grocery trips!